- Community Contributor
The #ActuallyAutistic Culture and Identity Project S40
Name, and/or twitter handle: Brenna Lentner, @brennalentner, "The Mad Scientist"
Parent/non-parent:This form is for self, but I am a parent.
Age when you selfdx/were diagnosed autistic: 30
1. Did you feel you were different from others as a child?
Everything, but I mostly noticed the logical reasoning and being socially abused, discounted and treated badly.
2. Are your parents supportive of you as an autistic individual?
3. How did you determine your ethical system?
Based on what is harmful to other humans, and also, not just focused on the collective, but knowing that each individual human has value and makes up that collective.
4. In which way does your private self differ from your outward facing front?
People discount my intelligence. I also have to pretend to be more feminine than I actually am bc of the stupid situaional things that hopefully will end next year
5. Do you enjoy finding mistakes/errors in the production of films and television...continuity etc.?
I dont watch much, but when I do, the whole thing is in error.
6. What are the top 3 traits you look for in a friend?
Non-conformity, must be "woke", and against organized religions
7. What are the top 3 traits you perceive as negative but are willing to overlook in a friend?
History of being religious, if theyve changed? Not much else.
8. What are the top traits you look for in a partner/traits your partner possesses?
My partner doesn't posess any of the top traits, I was gaslit about a lot of things in life and married under false pretenses and currently lack basic human rights bc of his legal abuse. If I could do it over, I would look for someone who cares, gives benefit of the doubt and is logic oriented.
9. What would you do with your life if you had unlimited funds?
Build a city where onlly autistics live, so we can get away from societies abuses, destroy organized religion, and the corrupt legal system
10. What does freedom mean to you. What does it entail?
Freedom is like "live and let live", it would require getting rid of the governmental structure, and the religions that demand conformity, which permeates every part of how humans operate, even though its Christianity is a dying religion
11. What does success mean to you?
Means getting more freedom, and autonomy, living how I want to, having more kids, making enough money for all my needs to be met and enough to help others.
12. Are you more stable/happier/productive within the structure of a relationship...partner/good friend/long-term roommate?
Only bc I'm stuck, in an ideal world, I would want a stable long term SO, without them owning me like my current neurotypical husband
13. Do you find it stressful to be around other parents at school functions?
Yes, I'm homeschooling my son now, but its stressful to attend the homeschool meet-ups, and difficult to know what to do. I know I have to socialize him, but its really hard.
14. How often do you pretend to not see people you know if you don’t want to talk?
Every time it happens, but it rarely does.
15. In which areas do you identify the most with other autistic people?
ALL OF THEM! Form our perspectives, but not the descriptions from NT's. They just don't get us.
16. What are the most stressful aspects of parenting an autistic child as an autistic caregiver?
Lack of social support, relatives are crappy, but this is easier than having a NT kid. That would be more difficult for me bc I wouldn't understand them as well. They would probably need more social opportunities than my son does, and maybe in the future that would be easier, but right now it seems like it would be extra hard. I would be scared that a NT kid would grow up to manipulate me and exploit their NT privilege against me when they are older.
17. What are the top 5 things you want your children to know about the world and why?
The world is corrupt and evil. Humans are exploiting everyone else, and I will teach him how to be as independent as possible while still having some connections and opportunities in the world. That's what's best for his survival.
18. Does living off the grid appeal to you and why/why not?
YES, bc humans are mostly evil, and exploiting everyone else. I wouldn't want to be all alone though. I need other humans around, just not to be easily exploited by them
19. What is your favorite style of architecture and why?
Craftsman, bc theres a nice mix of some details, but high ceilings still and a lot of practical elements are usually used so handsome and functional.